Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lone Murph and Shadowfax

After I had been divorced (for the second time) for a while, I grew tired of using my email address, 2murphys, which I had originally chosen for both my ex-wife and me to use.  Wanting something new that I would never need to change due to the end of a relationship, I decided on LoneMurph72@gmail.com.  Since then, I've used some version of "Lone Murph" as my user name for various apps and online accounts.  It's become a kind of nickname I've adopted for myself.  I like the way it combines my last name and "lone wolf."  I think it's cool and funny at the same time.  Today was a day of adventure for Lone Murph and Shadowfax.

We're still here at Brett's grandparents' house in Virginia.  They had prepared a delicious-looking breakfast of blueberry pancakes and bacon, but I opted for a slightly healthier route and had a bowl of strawberries and almonds.  My decision was partially based on the fact that I knew we were probably going to be eating the fish Brett and Mikey had caught yesterday for dinner, and I knew I would want to indulge.

Breakfast of Champions

I looked up Staunton River State Park and decided to check it out.  It was two hours away by bike and 30 minutes by car.  I asked Brett if I could take Mini Pearl.  I wanted to save my energy for the park itself; I'm glad I did.  I placed Shadowfax (folded up) in the back of the van and let Google Maps guide me to the park.  The drive there was pleasant, through many rural areas and green fields with farmhouses.  I arrived at the park and checked in at the visitor center.  I picked up a map of the multi-use trails.  A woman informed me that some segments were a bit difficult for bikes due to horses and tornado damage (the park had been hit by a tornado a few years ago).  I parked Mini Pearl and set off on Shadowfax to find the trailhead.  Soon after we had started the River Bank Trail, I could tell it was probably better suited for horses, hikers, and heavy duty mountain bikers.  At this point, I should mention that the Brompton owner's manual clearly states their bike is "designed for use on roads and well-made paths," and "not intended for stunts, cross-country riding or extreme sports."  For some reason, although well-aware of these warnings, I decided to press on with Shadowfax.  I had strapped a small bag containing two bottles of water, a can of beans and a banana to Shadowfax's rear luggage rack with the attached bungee cords.  The trail was rough enough to repeatedly knock the bag loose.  I kept trying to reposition the load, but the problem persisted.  Seeing the banana was being pummeled into purée, I ate it and resecured the remaining items.  Again and again, the bag came loose.  I realized I had to let go of the extra weight, along with my own stubbornness.  I had already come too far to return to the van.  I became aware of my reluctance to lose the water and beans because I had spent money on them and had intended to save them for later.  But the trail was challenging enough without the bag falling too, so I ate the beans (earlier than I had planned), took a drink of water and poured out the rest of one of the bottles.  I was using the cloth sack that came with my helmet.  I had meant to keep it, but I had to let that go too, as I now needed it for my empty trash.  I dropped the bag it in a garbage can and strapped the remaining bottle of water down.  Now all I had to worry about was the trail itself, and that was plenty.

Shadowfax is very photogenic!

Ah, the open road!

I had to dismount the bike several times either because the incline was too steep, or because the trail conditions were too hazardous to proceed.  One advantage of the Brompton design is that it's relatively easy to bail out and put your feet down without injuring yourself thanks to the low top tube.  Soon enough, I found a balance between riding Shadowfax when possible, and carrying him when necessary.  I actually began to appreciate the opportunity to see what Shadowfax and I are capable of together as well as what our limitations are.  Over the course of the next few hours, we explored the majority of the interconnected system of trails.  Eager to not get lost, I stopped at most of the trail signs to consult my map and stay on track.  When I first received my bike and started researching trails, I wasn't sure if we could handle "crushed stone" paths.  After today, I have no doubt we can.

One of many fallen trees in the road

Keep left!

Views worth the effort!

After Shadowfax and I had completed our intended loop, plus multiple side trails, we rewarded ourselves with a quick ride up and down the last section of the park's paved roads we hadn't yet seen.  We discovered several cabins for rent overlooking the river.

Nice way to spend a week or two!

By the time I returned to the house, I had missed supper, but they had saved some for me.  Brett had fried up the fish, and there was Grammy's salad with homegrown peppers, and cheese grits.  I passed on the grits, but finished off the rest of the fish and salad.  Along with some Tabasco and a biscuit, it was the perfect meal after a day out on the trails.

I caught up with the boys and asked them about their day as we built a fire.  We took Mini Pearl out on the property to help spot a rabbit for Brett.  As we drove the minivan through the brush and brambles it occurred to me that it was my second ride of the day with a vehicle being used in a way for which it wasn't intended.  Although I had seen three deer earlier on the trails (or maybe the same deer more than once), we didn't spot a single rabbit.  Disappointed he didn't get to shoot anything, Brett told us to stand back and discharged a round into the fire.

Burn, baby, burn!

Life "on the road" and off-road!

Ready, aim, FIRE!

I'll probably find something fairly simple to get into tomorrow, like exploring nearby downtown Halifax because we play for Papaw and Grammy's friends in the evening.  I'm looking forward to it.  Papaw and Grammy are awesome, and it's the least we can do to show our gratitude for the hospitality they've extended.


Peace, y'all!

- Jon

4 comments:

  1. Sis is enjoying your adventures also! Thanks for sharing your gifts of the written expression! I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete