Friday, July 25, 2014

From Franklin to FloydFest

We all had to leave the cabin today.  The Corbitt Brothers start their own string of shows on the road, and we needed to head to FloydFest in Floyd, VA.  Isaac said he hated to leave, but was also looking forward to playing live again.  I felt the same way.  We packed up our stuff, helped tidy up the cabin, and loaded up Mini Pearl.  We each enjoyed our last peaceful hours by the creek. Before we left, there was a brainstorming session discussing ways to turn the Corbitt property into a financially self-sustaining entity where music and nature would continue to coexist.  We said our goodbyes to Isaac, Newsome and Buck and wished each other safe travels until our paths cross again.

Newsome making Corbitt Brothers T-shirts

Mikey sifting for gold and other gems

Brett taking one last creek shower

Proud to call these boys friends

The drive to FloydFest took about 4 1/2 hours.  The scenery changed dramatically once we crossed the state line into Virginia, and it was no less beautiful.  The farmland and rolling hills were so idyllic and vibrantly-colored they almost looked fake.  It was like driving through a painting in high definition.  I would have taken pictures, but I was busy driving and focusing on the narrow, hilliy roads.

We had no idea where to go when we arrived at the festival.  Figuring out where we could camp and where we could park got a bit frustrating.  Eventually, we found the information we needed.  We picked up our credentials, dropped off our merch at the merch table, located artist camping, and set up our tent.  I think the fact that we had just come from such tranquil surroundings with good friends and now found ourselves in the middle of festival chaos added to our tension level.  We walked around the grounds to get the lay of the land.  We were all in the mood for vegan festival food; I opted for a curry dish, to which I added a healthy swirl of Sriracha.  Ziggy Marley was on the main stage, but none of us felt the need to stay and listen.  We could still hear fine from a distance.  We play early, at 11am tomorrow, so I don't think it will be too late a night for any of us.  We came here to bring our music to a new audience, but also to compete for a paid timeslot back here next year.  We want to be on our game for our performance tomorrow and our two sets on Sunday.  Brett booked our entire tour around this festival, and we came to lay it on the line.  We'll have off the rest of tomorrow afternoon.  I'm going to stop by the Outdoor Adventures Headquarters tent after we play and see what I can get into.

Yes, we all fit in there.  We're close.

Made it, Ma! Top of the world!

Fire good!

Festival food time!

Don't forget the Sriracha!

During my time at Corbitt Creek, I could only use my iPhone to update my blog; I wasn't able to use my MacBook or wifi.  I attempted to keep the format looking the same regardless.  It took me a good deal of time for which I achieved mixed results.  In the spirit of simplifying things, I've decided to adapt the look of my posts in such a way that my blogger app alone will be sufficient.  This is my way of trying to stop obsessing over trivial matters and concentrate on what's really important to me.  I may review and edit these posts  once wifi is available and I can once again use my laptop.  It's odd; I know I could simply wait to update my blog.  I know I don't have to post daily; I don't have to post at all.  However, for some reason, if I at least have a signal on my iPhone, I want to keep going.  I feel as though anyone reading this is sharing the journey with me, even if they're not reading every post as soon as I publish it.  I feel connected to friends, family, and folks I haven't even met through this endeavor.  Perhaps it's provided me with something constructive to do with my time and energy, rather than just sitting around feeling sorry for myself because I'm choosing to not drink.  Brett joked earlier that I can blog about blogging, and here I am, doing just that right now!  But hey, that's part of this journey, too.

I hear another band has started on the main stage, and I don't know for sure where the night will take me.  If all goes well, we'll be on that same stage tomorrow morning, well-rested and ready to do what we came here to do.

Cheers, y'all!

- Jon










No comments:

Post a Comment