Friday, August 1, 2014

Goin' Broke in Roanoke

It was raining steadily enough in Roanoke this morning to discourage me from taking Shafowfax out on the greenway.  Disappointed, I lay in bed hoping for a break in the weather.  When I finally got moving, breakfast was waiting for me; Anne Marie is spoiling us!  I came to find out that she and Keel spent time in Tucson, AZ (my hometown) and attended the University of Arizona (my alma mater).  Small world.  Keel had come out to our gig last night and had noticed the crowd's mediocre response.  We understand how it goes - you win some, you lose some.  Last night wasn't the best gig, but it wasn't the worst either.  As a band on the road, we're bound to have nights where we wonder if it's even worth it.  I think what really bummed us out so much last night is that we were on our game, dropping the proverbial bluegrass hand grenade, only to receive a smattering of golf claps.  We try to be professional and play for the folks who do seem to be digging it, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't feel like pulling teeth when we're trying to entertain an indifferent audience.  This morning, however, there was a post on the band's Facebook page from a guy we met last night that read, "Y'all kicked ass last night."  It just goes to show that even if we don't hear thunderous applause after every song, we might be making a connection with someone in the crowd.  We've been really fortunate when it comes to audiences so far this time out.  I realize we can't get too down over a less-than-stellar reception.  It probably won't be the worst gig of the tour.  Indeed, we'd be lucky if is.

Keel had mentioned taking us out to the James River to go kayaking today, and I wondered if the rain would allow it.  He called a place and found out we could still go if we didn't mind taking our chances with the weather.  Keel, Brett and I decided to go for it.

Keel drove us about a half hour to Twin River Outfitters in Buchanan, VA.  When we arrived, the sky was overcast, but there was no rain.  Keel and Anne Marie have their own kayaks, which we brought, and we rented one more.  The weather held out, and we enjoyed a two-hour voyage down the James.  Keel was the perfect guide and provided everything we needed.  Being out on the water felt great; I felt my shoulders relax as I took a deep breath.  The water was choppy in a few spots, but it was mostly a smooth, leisurely ride.  We engaged in pleasant conversation as we paddled along.  A few years older than me, Keel has lived an interesting life and had many careers before becoming an emergency doctor and educator.  We saw a lot of wildlife during our trek down the river including, turkeys, turtles, geese, a heron, a hawk, and a doe.  I wish I could've taken more pictures, but, not wanting to damage my iPhone, I kept it in a dry bag until we were ashore.  It felt good to really dig in with the paddle at times, and just as good to simply float downstream.

Kayakin'!

Me, Keel and Brett

We had really lucked out with the weather.  When we returned to Roanoke, it was raining again (or perhaps, still).  We had a few hours before the gig, and I didn't want to miss out on the beautiful greenway, so Shadowfax and I rode off into the drizzle.  We took the Roanoke River Greenway east to its end and then followed the signs through a residential area to the Tinker Greenway.  I was grateful to have my lowest gear working again, because we came across what was probably our toughest incline yet.  It was paved, but steep enough that I thought for a moment that I would have to dismount and walk, but somehow I was able to come up out of the saddle and dig in just enough to make it.  The winding downhill slope afterwards was a nice reward.  The rain picked up, and I ducked under a bridge by the river for a few minutes.  I considered going further down the Tinker Greenway, but decided I had better not press my luck and risk running late, so I headed back.  The greenways took me through urban areas, natural environments, and various neighborhoods.  On my way back to our new friends' house, I realized I was passing right behind a row of moderate-income houses tucked behind some beautiful smallish mountains.  I started to wonder about the people that live there, folks that I will most likely never meet.  Who are they?  What are their lives like?  There are so many people in this world I will never know, with their hopes and fears, their joys and sorrows, their proudest moments and their disappointments.  I tend to contemplate such things when I travel.  We're all just passing through.



We played at the Coffee Pot Roadhouse. This bar and restaurant added a tiny non-smoking room with a single high top table in the front hallway in order to continue to allow smoking throughout the rest of the historic building.  Where there's a loophole, there's a way!


Non-smoking, please!

It's difficult to say if tonight's gig was better or worse than last night's.  I couldn't hear my vocals during the first set and became frustrated.  The crowd was smaller tonight, only eighteen people at its largest, but they were definitely more enthusiastic, which made it more fun to play for them.  Unfortunately, it was a door deal gig, and, for a four hour time slot, we only made enough money for a tank of gas.  We were feeling pretty disheartened, especially Brett.  Adding insult to injury, we saw a rabbit in the street as we pulled up to the house.  Brett had been searching fruitlessly in the country for days, and then one sauntered across the street of a populated neighnorhood in the middle of Roanoke.

Brett was inspired by our boating trip to find a canoe on craigslist for the larger pond on his grandparents' property.  We're heading to Blacksburg, VA early tomorrow to check one out, and then we play the Steppin' Out festival there.  The show must go on.

Keep going!

- Jon

1 comment: