Monday, August 18, 2014

Back in the Saddle Again

Sleeping in felt great.  I woke up late and had a healthful breakfast of hard-boiled eggs, an apple, and grapes.  I sat on the back porch, and Brett joined me to drink his coffee.  As we were sitting there, Jennie drove up in her golf cart and welcomed us back to the Greem Bell Bed & Barn.  She and Jay had made the long haul back from Ohio yesterday and gotten in late last night.  We talked about her family, the Green Bell, and Bass & Grass.

I was eager to get back in the saddle with Shadowfax, so I randomly picked the Massee Lane Gardens, about 45 minutes away by bicycle, as my destination.  It seemed like as good a goal as any.  I chose a route that looked like it would have less automobile traffic.  Indeed it did, although, at some points, taking the roads my GPS suggested made me feel like I was cutting through privately-owned orchards.  In fact, I had to climb over a locked gate in order to follow the recommended directions.



I was unable to find the entrance to the gardens with my GPS, so I called the number on their website.  The woman who answered told me how to get there (I wasn't far) and informed me they are closed on Mondays.  I really should read more carefully; the hours of operation were clearly posted on the site.  The woman said the gates were open, however, and that I could visit the central, brick walkway area.  I laughed at myself for choosing the one day they were closed, but decided to stop by anyways since I had already made the trip.  Shadowfax and I had the place to ourselves, and I didn't have to pay the small admission fee.  While I understand there is much more to see when they're open,  I was content walking Shadowfax along the tree-lined path.  There was a small Japanese garden/koi pond area with a shaded bench.  It was a good spot to take a tranquil break.




From the gardens I decided to continue on to the nearby town of Marshsallville, GA, sticking to the main roads this time.  It was a pleasant ride, but there wasn't much to the small town center.




I wasn't ready to head back yet, so I decided to ride past the Green Bell and visit the town of Perry, about an hour from Marshallville by bike.  Perry is bigger than Marshallville, but still a small town.  The actual destinations I chose today were really just excuses to ride anyways.  I noticed a sign for a self-guided audio phone tour of significant sites; perhaps I'll return in the next few days and give it a shot.  By the time I reached Perry, I was feeling low on fuel, so I stopped at Walgreens for a Naked Juice Blue Machine and a small bag of raw almonds, cashews, and pistachios.



I felt ready for the 45-minute ride back to the Green Bell.  It was a challenging final stretch, because I was riding against the wind and mostly at a slight uphill incline.  By the time I returned, I had been out exploring for about five hours, and I was feeling pretty beat; it was one of those "good tired" feelings, though.  Brett and Mikey were in their rooms, and the shack was quiet when I got back.  Brett had gone into town earlier for groceries and picked up some tasty-looking fruit.  I grabbed some cold water and a perfectly-ripe, juicy nectarine and spent some time out back on the screened-in porch again, enjoying the stillness of the late afternoon and the soothing sound of the breeze through the trees.


Brett emerged from his room and said that Jay and Jennie had invited us over for dinner.  I took a quick shower, and we drove over to the main house.  Jay was manning the grill outside and welcomed us.  Our hosts were aware of my break from alcohol and offered their La Croix sparkling water.  As others were using it to make mixed drinks, I didn't feel so left out of the pre-dinner cocktail hour.


Brett had brought over a watermelon, and Jennie cut it up to add to their vegetable appetizer.  Soon, dinner was served.  It was a fantastic feast including London broil, pork ribs, sardines, boiled potatoes, and salad.  I wasn't in the mood for the ribs, but I partook of a highly-pleasing plate of everything else.  In addition to the food, the meal was that much more delightful because we dined at the table with Jay, Jennie, and their sons, Avery and Russell.  Throughout our tour, the family dinners we've enjoyed with friends old and new are some of my favorite moments.


After dinner, we hung out with our gracious hosts for a good while, conversing and pursuing individual interests.  Brett returned to his heavy metal roots with Avery's B. C. Rich "Dark Arts Warlock" electric guitar.  Jennie mentioned that she had a yoga swing for hanging upside down and asked if I would like to try it.  She demonstrated a few of the many possible poses and coached me through an inversion.  Even my short session felt great on my spine, especially my lower back.  After my feet touched down again, I felt centered and at peace.  Jay, Brett and Mikey had stepped outside, so Jennie and I joined them from the deck above, where I was able to be a witness to Jennie's dartboard bullseye.   




Everyone reconvened in the kitchen.  Brett suggested we all take the party back to the shack for moonshine, beer, and music.  Jay and Jennie had driven over eleven hours yesterday and worked today, so they took a rain check, but Avery came over with his acoustic guitar and jammed with Brett for a while.  Eventually, the band had a late-night practice session.  We ran through a few traditional bluegrass pickers and performed some of our new tunes for Avery.  Brett played a beautiful and haunting Celtic-sounding jig he apparently wrote a while back, but that I hadn't heard before; maybe we can incorporate it into the GCM repertoire.


It felt good to get back on track today with exercise and appropriate amounts of nourishing food, and it's great to be back at the Green Bell Bed & Barn.  I'm so glad we decided to come to Bass & Grass for the first time three years ago and became friends with Jay and Jennie.  I'm grateful for their hospitality.  The Green Bell is a rejuvenative oasis where we can replenish our energy before the last leg of the tour.


By the way, today was Day 83.

¡Salud!

- Jon

1 comment: