Friday, August 22, 2014

Athens to Atlanta

I woke up two and a half hours before checkout at the Travelodge.  I left Brett and Mikey to sleep, and rode Shadowfax through downtown Athens to the North Oconee River Greenway.  Once I found the trail, I rode the few miles to its end and back.  I noticed a spot on the street downtown where the pavement had been worn down and what appeared to be the original brick road was visible.






By the time I returned to the hotel, the boys were starting to get ready.  During my ride, I had passed a restaurant called Mama's Boy that appeared to be popular with UGA students and other locals, so I suggested going there before leaving Athens.  I ordered the tofu stir fry and fruit.  It hit the spot.



Our friend, Mark (a different Mark than the one who had arranged last night's gig) had invited us to stay at his place in Decatur, Georgia tonight.  We met Mark a few years back through our friend, Sam.  Mark has allowed us to stay with him when we play Atlanta.  Conveniently, our gig tonight was only a few blocks from his place.  Brett and Mikey wanted to stay in once we arrived.  I was feeling ambitious, so I went for another bike ride.

I decided to attempt the Stone Mountain Trail to Stone Mountain Park.  This trail was interesting.  It weaves in and out of regular streets and traffic.  It was difficult to tell where the automobile-free trail would resume, but I got the hang of riding on the streets until I found the signs for the trail again.  I also employed my TrailLink app to keep me on track.  At first, I became frustrated, but it turned into a fun quest to find the next part of the trail and reach its terminus.  It was a healthy trek, about 25 miles round trip.  Along the route, I marveled at the dichotomy of Atlanta's urban landscapes and natural vistas.





There was much more to explore in Stone Mountain Park, but I needed to head back and get ready for tonight.  I returned in time to get cleaned up, and we drove the few minutes to the gig.  Big Tex seemed like more of a restaurant than a live music venue.  Our stage was simply a cleared-out corner of the dining room floor.  There was, however, a small PA system.  Our host, Mark, and our mutual friend, Sam came to see us.  Rich, Jessica, and Bill, some friends we know from Jacksonville, are now living in Atlanta, and they stopped by as well.  All in all, the show went well.  The owner seemed pleased, and he compted our meals (I had a black bean burger).  The moderate-sized crowd was into us.  It was also great to see our friends.




We stayed at the venue and talked with our Jacksonville buddies for a bit.  Then we returned to Mark's house and hung out with him and Sam.  We're leaving early tomorrow morning because Brett wants to check out a guitar in Greeneville, Tennessee before we head to Asheville, North Carolina.  I'm glad I was able to do a lot of bike-riding today because I probably won't get the chance for the next two days.  I'm looking forward to playing my friends' wedding tomorrow.  There are two days left in the tour and thirteen remaining for my 100 days alcohol-free.  I'm in the home stretch!


Cheers!

- Jon

1 comment: