Friday, August 15, 2014

Last Van to Clarksville

Phil really outdid himself and prepared one last amazing late breakfast for us before we left Memphis.  We hung around for a while until we finally mustered up the motivation to repack the van.  We dragged our feet because we knew we were leaving the friendship and hospitality of Phil's place and heading back out into the unknown.  We eventually said our goodbyes and headed out.


drove the three and a half hours to Clarksville.  It was an uneventful, but scenic ride through the Tennessee hills.  We arrived at the roadside bar we were playing and loaded in our equipment.  Next, we checked into a nearby Super 8 hotel.  I consulted my iPhone apps and discovered there was a greenway in Clarksville, but it was too far to reach by bike before we had to leave for the show.  To be honest, I didn't feel much like riding or exploring today anyways.  I was tired after driving, so I tried to rest for an hour.

As we were getting ready to leave the hotel, it seemed to me that we were all silently dreading the gig.  I said, "It feels like this is a rough spot of the tour."  Brett replied, "I'm just trying to stay positive."  Mikey asked, "About the gig?" to which Brett answered, "About life in general."  We returned to the venue, hoping for the best.


I wish I could report that the show went great, and that we received the morale boost we needed, but that simply wasn't the case.  It was the epitome of a bar gig.  We played for the regulars and local drunks in their smoky watering hole.  A few folks were into what we were doing, but as the night wore on and the crowd thinned out, it got to the point where no one was applauding after our songs.  We actually did sell some merch and make some decent tip money in addition to our guarantee, but this didn't make the gig feel any better at the time.


By the end of our final set, I admit I was just going through the motions.  It was the kind of night that makes us wonder why we're out here touring and why we even bother playing music at all.  I think we all felt rather defeated as we returned to our cheap hotel.  I really wanted a drink.  Instead, I resorted to emotional eating to "drown" my sorrows.


We have two gigs tomorrow; one at a Bluegrass venue in Nashville, and one at a one-day music fest in Christiana, TN.  I hope things turn around.

Sorry for the negative post, y'all.

- Jon

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we're just dust in the wind...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0zSB2WEtwU

    ReplyDelete