Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Spirit of St. Louis

We had enjoyed our relaxing two-night stay at the Riverside Mansion Hotel in Golconda, Illinois, but it was time move on.  We said thanks and goodbye to Tony and Beth, the couple that runs the place, and headed out for St. Louis, Missouri.

We stopped by the venue, then checked into a Red Roof Inn.  I looked up the Gateway Arch on Google Maps and saw it was only forty minutes away by bicycle.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous.  How could I not go?  Our hotel was near the Hill, an Italian American neighborhood.  My ride took me through this and several other neighborhoods, the campus of Saint Louis University, and downtown St. Louis.  It was a big change riding in a good-sized urban area after all the smaller towns we've been in, especially the last two days in Golconda.  However, St. Louis seemed very bike-friendly for a bigger city.

Eventually, I rounded a corner, and there it was, the Gateway Arch.  I didn't know whether or not I could bike right up to it; it turns out I could, and I did just that.  I was impressed by the size of the structure.  I decided to enter the below-ground visitor center.  Security allowed me to take Shadowfax with me.  I asked about the tram to the top and found out it only cost ten dollars.  How could I not go?

They allowed me to leave Shadowfax where they hold strollers at the base of the tram loading zone.  I was surprised by how small the trams were.  They reminded me of tiny spacecraft escape pods you would see in a science fiction movie.  The are five seats, and if they're all occupied, there is no extra space at all.  Through the window, the only view on the way up is of the long, narrow inside of the arch.  Once at the top, I was free to walk around a moderately crowded area with windows on either side.  What a view!






The ride back to the hotel was perfect.  I felt alive and awake.  I was grateful for Shadowfax because he provided the transportation I needed to visit the arch, and, of course, I got a little exercise in, too.


The gig itself was positive overall.  There was a good PA system provided, and it was easy for us to more or less just plug in and play.  It was a small, Tuesday night crowd, but they were responsive and bought some merchandise.  The venue was a "new" New Orleans style restaurant, and we each received a free meal.  I wasn't about to let this opportunity go to waste, so after the show, I ordered the jambalaya.  Singing for my supper never tasted so good!




The boys passed out as soon as we got back to the hotel; perhaps last night's moonshine party finally caught up with them.  I arranged for a late check-out tomorrow, and we have the day off.  We'll head to Memphis, Tennessee, a day early for a gig there on Thursday.  I have a friend from junior high and high school who has offered to put us up for a couple of days.

I'm glad I was able to make the most of my short time in St. Louis, especially because I've never been here before.  I have been to Memphis a couple of times, and it's a great town.  I look forward to playing there for the first time, catching up with my friend, Phil, showing the boys around, and getting into some new adventures!


Onward and upward!

- Jon

2 comments:

  1. Hmm! Did you have second thoughts about trusting such a soaring fragile structure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never felt uncomfortable with the height or the structure itself, but I did feel claustrophobic for a moment in the tiny, crowded tram on the way up!

      Delete